Friday, February 12, 2010

Pay Day Tacos, #1

Today, we celebrate pay day with Tacos. Let's call it a new tradition.


First on the Taste Test List is Tex Tubb's Taco Palace. We visited their restaurant on Atwood Avenue on the near east side of Madison, WI.

Designed to look like a hole in the ground, this is a clean restaurant with terrific service. We had a great server today, and we shared tips on what kind of treats we're planning to make for Valentine's Day (she's making cookies).


I'm always in the mood for a fish taco, so I ordered their 2-taco lunch special, which is around $6. You can choose two of many different kinds of taco. I picked a blackened tilapia and a carne asada taco.


The blackened tilapia was served on double-corn shells with cabbage slaw, pico and onion. The flavors were terrific, although not super-spicy for a blackened fish. I poured some of the hot sauce from their salsa bar, and the taco was terrific.

The carne asada was a seasoned and marinated strip sliced ever-so-thin and grilled off for the taco. It was really terrific, and it was served on a flour tortilla topped with pico, red onions and guacamole. I would have chosen a corn tortilla, but it was nice nonetheless.


My girlfriend ordered the fried avocado taco and something called "Elisa's Choice," which is fried avocado, mushrooms, black beans, tomatoes, onions, and feta. Elisa's Choice has now become my lover's choice, hands down. She raved.


The lunch was served with rice and beans. It promises to keep you full and happy until long after dinner time!


Tex Tubb's is highly recommended. It's a fun place for lunch, but I'd rather be having happy hour there now!



Overall, I give it a 8 out of 10. My lady gave it a solid 9: "It was really good."

No comments:

Post a Comment