Friday, April 23, 2010

Payday Tacos #6 - El Burrito Loco






The weather is nice in Madison (relatively so), so it's time to hit some of the street carts that get set up downtown and on campus. Today we visited El Burrito Loco, a cart that is usually stationed at the southwest corner of MLK and Main on the Capitol Square.

I ordered two tacos - one chicken, one beans - on soft shells. Mild salsa on the chicken, hot salsa on the beans. Let's see how we do!

We didn't do so well.

The taco shells were a little steamed when they should have been seared off. It made for a shell that fell apart, especially with the BEEF taco I received. I'm sure there was a communication gap, and they heard "beef" instead of "beans," even though I stated beans at two occasions. Generally, I can go with the flow . . . we'll see how the beef is, then.

Turns out, bad. First of all, the beef is steamed and largely unseasoned. The combo of steamed ground beef and shells that don't have a char or sear on them is a fall-apart mess. The photo shows the taco when I first pulled it out of the styrofoam container (sure glad I didn't buy this on Earth Day!).

Construction of the tacos started with 2 corn shells, a fairly generous portion of meat, shredded iceberg lettuce, a bit of shredded mild cheddar (their other dishes used either chihuahua or queso quesadilla) and salsa.

The chicken taco was much better, but still had too much iceberg lettuce to taste like much more than lettuce with some salsa and mild cheddar.

The salsas were pretty good, although it was very lightly applied to the beef taco. That was a shame, since it really needed it.

Overall, I wish I'd have saved the calories (ouch).
My rating -
Chicken taco: 5 out of 10
Beef Taco: 3 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment