Friday, August 23, 2013

Pizza Time with Falbo Brothers

We're back on the Taste Test trail with a visit to Falbo Brothers on Park Street in Madison.  According to their website, they have 6 stores in Wisconsin, 4 in Iowa, and 1 in Colorado.



Like many pizza places, Falbo Bros offers lunchtime slices, so I grabbed a Pepperoni slice.  They had a tabletop display case with round shelves of various selections.  My slice had been prepared long before I arrived, so the pizza was not hot - not even close.  I won't mark them down very much for that as it was clearly made fresh and it's hard to predict how fast certain flavors and slices will go.

The piece itself was fairly thick, although I would not consider it deep dish.  The crust heel was built up at the edge, so this pizza is baked in a deep pan.  The resulting pie had a thin crust along the bottom.

Overall impression:  Despite it being on the cool side, I was impressed by the weight and appearance of the pizza.  Their restaurant on Park Street is more of a take-out counter, although there are 2 tables available if you choose to eat in.  Score: 2 out of 5.

Crust:  The crust was a cross between a traditional recipe and a Chicago-style crust.  What makes a crust "Chicago Style?"  Shortening, baby.  There was some sort of shortening or oil used in the crust, which adds weight and depth.  It wasn't quite like a pastry pie crust, but it had that kind of texture to it.  Score: 8 out of 10

Cheese:  Falbo Brothers piles it on - at least in the slice I got.  I was impressed that the cheese layer was slightly thicker than the crust beneath it.  Big bonus points for quantity.  It had cooled quite a bit, so it's hard to determine its quality when hot.  When only warm, however, it had nice flavor, a reasonable grease content, and served the pizza well.  Score: 4 out of 5

Sauce:  The sauce is salty with a tomato and oregano flavor.  I'm a fan of oregano on pizza.  It was a thin amount of sauce, which worked fine but was less than I would have chosen.  Still good.  Score: 3 out of 5.

Pepperoni:  Not special, but straight ahead pepperoni with good flavor.  Sliced thin.  If you looked up "pepperoni" in the dictionary, this is probably what they are talking about.  Score: 3 out of 5

Price/Value:  They charged me $2 for the piece.  Seriously.  It was a good price for a slice of this flavor and weight.  Score: 5 out of 5.

Overall score for Falbo Brothers: 25 out of a potential 35.  This is a worthy contender, and I was surprised.  I have happy memories of this largely because of the low price for what I got.  I'd do it again.


Scorecard so far
1.  Ian's on State = 26 points
2.  Falbo Brothers = 25 points
3.  Pizza di Roma = 17 points
4.  Rocky Rococo = 14 points

No comments:

Post a Comment